Glossary for Atrial symptoms
Medical terms related to Atrial symptoms or mentioned in this section include:
- Aortic Valve Insufficiency: A heart valve disorder where the heart valve is unable to close completely which causes a backflow of some of the blood from the aorta. The condition can be caused by such things as systemic lupus erythematosus, endocarditis, high blood pressure, Marfan's syndrome and aortic dissection.
- Arrhythmias: The occurrence of irregular heart beats
- Atrial cardiomyopathy with heart block: Atrial heart disease involving a disruption of the electrical signals in the heart and causes heart rhythm problems.
- Atrial fibrillation: A rhythm disturbance of the heart that results in irregular and chaotic ventricular contractions.
- Atrial fibrillation in the elderly: Atrial fibrillation in the elderly is a cardiac arrhythmia in which the upper chambers of an older adult's heart are beating irregularly and rapidly in a quivering manner.
- Atrial gallop: gallop rhythm in which the gallop sound follows atrial systole in late diastole and is an audible fourth heart sound due to forceful ventricular filling
- Cardiac malformation: Any malformation or structural defect of the heart or it's structures. Some examples include atrioventricular septal defect, conotruncal malformations, transposition of great vessels and heart valve dysplasia. The symptoms vary in nature and severity depending on the type of malformation.
- Cardiac valvular dysplasia, X-linked: An inherited (X-linked) form of heart disease involving mitral or aortic valve regurgitation. Females are carriers and hence asymptomatic whereas males displayed symptoms.
- Cardiomyopathy, Alcoholic: A weakened heart mucle due to excessive alcohol consumption. Symptoms are usually not evident until the heart becomes severely damaged.
- Cardiovascular symptoms: Symptoms affecting the heart and related vascular systems.
- Cyclosporine toxicity: The toxic reaction of the body to the substance,
possibly via allergic reaction or overdose.
- Eisenmenger Syndrome: Increased lung blood pressure that can result from conditions such as a hole in the wall between the two heart chambers.
- Endomyocardial fibrosis: Heart disease characterized by progressive fibrosis of the lining of one or both lower heart cavities. This results in constriction of the heart cavity and may involve the heart valves and other structures.
- Foxglove poisoning: The foxglove is a herb which produces fruit in a capsule and colored, tubular flowers. The leaves, flowers and seeds of the plant contain a very toxic chemical called digitalis glycoside which can cause serious symptoms or even death if eaten. Skin irritation can occur if contact with the skin occurs. NOTE: Patients who are taking certain medications (digoxin, beta-blockers, calcium channel blockers) are more susceptible to foxglove poisoning.
- Gallop, atrial: A condition which is characterized by an atrial beat of the heart which is gallop like in nature
- Gallop, ventricular: A condition which is characterized by a ventricle beat of the heart which is gallop like in nature
- Gallops: gallop rhythm is an abnormal of the heart on auscultation
- Heart conditions: Any condition that affects the heart
- Heart injury: An injury to the heart
- Heart rhythm symptoms: Problems with the rhythm of the heartbeat (arrhythmias)
- Heart symptoms: Symptoms affecting the heart
- Herbal Agent overdose -- Peppermint Oil: Peppermint Oil can be used as an antispasmodic (to treat nausea, dyspepsia and irritable bowel syndrome) and as an antibacterial. The herbal agent contains various chemicals (menthol, menthone, methyl acetate) which can cause symptoms if excessive quantities are taken.
- High T4 syndrome: A disorder involving transient increases in thyroxine levels for no apparent reason.
- Hypertensive heart disease: Heart disease that is caused by hypertension
- Hyperthyroidism: The excessive activity of the thyroid gland
- Kentucky coffee tea poisoning: Kentucky coffee tea is a large, deciduous tree which bear small flowers and a flattened seed pod. The sticky, sweet substance surrounding the seeds in the seedpods contains a chemical called alkaloid cytosine which can cause symptoms if eaten. The plant is considered to have a relatively low level of toxicity.
- Lily-of-the-Valley poisoning: Lily-of-the-Valley is a plant often grown in gardens. The plant contains cardiac glycosides (convallamatian, convallarin) and saponins which can cause poisoning symptoms if eaten. Large amounts would need to be eaten to cause poisoning symptoms. Cardiovascular symptoms usually occur a few hours after gastrointestinal symptoms. The biggest danger of eating this plant is the effects on the heart which can cause serious problems in patients with underlying heart conditions.
- Mc Leod neuroacanthocytosis syndrome: A rare syndrome characterized by neuromuscular, blood and central nervous system symptoms. The disease is slowly progressive.
- Mitral regurgitation: A condition which is characterized by a regurgitation of blood from the left ventricle into the atrium due to a problem with the mitral valve
- Movement symptoms: Changes to movement or motor abilities
- Muscle symptoms: Symptoms affecting the muscles of the body
- Mustard tree poisoning: The mustard tree is found in various parts of America and contains nicotine. Ingestion of the plant can cause various symptoms. The leaves of the plant is sometimes smoked for its effects but it can result in death.
- Nerve symptoms: Symptoms affecting the nerves
- Tricuspid valve diseases: Any disease that affects the tricuspid valve
- Ventricular fibrillation due to scar tissue in the heart:
- Ventricular gallop: It is a heart sound known as S3 associated with rapid ventricular filling in early diastole
- Wolf-Parkinson-White syndrome: Heart arrhythmia causing increased heart rate
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Atrial symptoms:
The following list of conditions
have 'Atrial symptoms' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Atrial symptoms or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Atrial symptoms:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Atrial symptoms'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Atrophy of the neck
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: