Diagnostic Tests for Back pain
Diagnostic Test list for Back pain:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Back pain
- Physical examination
- General inspection - posture, gait, level of distress.
- Inspect the back, examine range of movement of the back to reproduce pain, palpation of the back
- Neurological examination of the lower limbs if symptoms extend below the buttocks
- Examine related joints e.g. hip and sacroiliac
- General medical examination if appropriate e.g. rectal examination
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR
- Calcium, Phosphate and Alkaline phosphatase
- Prostatic specific antigen (PSA) in males if appropriate
- HLA-B27 antigen test fro Ankylosing Spondylitis and Reiter's disease
- Rheumatoid factor for Rheumatoid arthritis
- Serum electrophoresis for Multiple myeloma
- Blood culture for vertebral osteomyelitis
- Other tests
- Mantoux test - if suspect Skeletal tuberculosis.
- Urine tests - Urinalysis and culture to detect Urinary tract infection.
- Spinal X-ray - can detect arthritis changes, fractures, reduced bone mass, reduced bone height, spondylolisthesis.
- Spinal CT or MRI - perform if radiation of pain around the trunk or into legs or if the person has persistent back pain as can detect spinal canal stenosis or nerve root compression.
- Bone scan - can detect the early development of malignant disease, osteomyelitis and inflammatory disease before changes are apparent on plain X-Ray.
- Bone densitometry - can predict an increased risk of osteoporosis.
- Electromyographic (EMG) studies - to screen leg pain and differentiate neurological diseases from nerve compression syndromes.
- If the above investigations are negative, the possibility of a non- neurological or non-orthopedic condition causing the back pain should be considered e.g. abdominal ultrasound scan to rule out aortic aneurysm; pelvic tumor ; Prostatic tumor , pancreatic tumor
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Back pain causes:
- Nerve Neuropathy: Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Back pain:
The following list of conditions
have 'Back pain' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Back pain or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Back pain:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Back pain'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: