Glossary for Backache
Medical terms related to Backache or mentioned in this section include:
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm: A weakness and bulging of a section of an abdominal blood vessel called the abdominal aorta. It is usually associated with severe atherosclerosis in the blood vessel.
- Abdominal symptoms: Symptoms affecting the abdomen or digestive tract
- Acute intermittent porphyria: A rare inherited metabolic disorder caused by a disturbed porphyrin metabolism resulting in increased production of porphyrin or its precursors. Symptoms include abdominal pain, photosensitivity and neurological disturbances such as seizures, coma, hallucinations and respiratory paralysis.
- Acute pancreatitis: sudden inflammation of the pancreas
- Adenocarcinoma, Clear Cell: A type of cancer that occurs mainly in the genitourinary tract and the cells that make up the tumor are clear. It is very rare and most cases occur in females whose mothers used a drug called DES (synthetic estrogen) while pregnant.
- Alkaptonuria: A rare inherited metabolic disease characterized by homogentisic aciduria, arthritis and ochronosis. Symptoms include darkening of urine, alkinization due to overproduction of homogentisic acid, arthritis in the large joints and black ochronotic pigmentation of cartilage and collagen tissue. However, many of these symptoms may not occur until middle age. The condition may also be caused by chronic phenol poisoning.
- Alternating Bowel Habit IBS: It is a functional bowel disorder characterized by chronic abdominal pain, discomfort, bloating, and alteration of bowel habits in the absence of any organic cause. IBS may be associated with pain disorders.
- Ankylosing Spondylitis: A form of chronic inflammation of the spine which may also affect joints in the shoulder, hip, neck, ribs and jaw. May result in loss of mobility. Also called Marie-Strumpell disease.
- Arthritis: A condition which is characterized by the inflammation of a joint
- Back pain: Pain in the back region.
- Back symptoms: Symptoms affecting the back
- Backache in pregnancy: Backache in pregnancy usually occurs in the lower back, and the description can sometimes also refer to pain arising from the pelvic girdle.
- Bartonella infections: Infection with bacteria from the Bartonella genus of bacteria. Specific bacteria from within this group are Bartonella bacilliforms (Oroya fever), Bartonella Heneslae (Cat-scratch disease). Other conditions caused by this bacteria are endocarditis, bacteremia and angiomatosis. Symptoms vary depending on the type of bacteria involved and the severity of the infection - immunocompromised patients face greater risk of severe infection.
- Body symptoms: Symptoms affecting the entire body features.
- Brain symptoms: Symptoms affecting the brain
- Breast Cancer: A condition which is characterized by the presence of malignant tissue within breast tissue
- Breast cancer: A condition which is characterized by the presence of malignant tissue within breast tissue
- Bright's Disease: A condition where the parts of the kidneys that are responsible for filtering become inflamed and results in blood and proteins accidentally leaking into the urine. The condition can occur after certain infections and serious kidney dysfunction can result in severe or chronic complications.
- Bwamba virus: A viral illness caused by a species of bunyavirus and transmitted by mosquitoes. The main symptom is fever and it is often mistaken for malaria. Symptoms generally persist for 5 to 7 days. The virus is most common in East Africa.
- Cat scratch disease: An infectious disease transmitted through a cat's bite, scratch or lick and resulting primarily in lymph node pain and swelling. The condition can be mild or severe.
- Cauda equina syndrome: Is a neurological syndrome which occurs when a vertebral disc protrudes and compresses the spinal cord.
- Chiari-Frommel syndrome: A hormonal disorder where a woman continues to produce milk even after the child has been weaned.
- Chikungunya: A rare viral disease usually transmitted by mosquitoes and characterized by fever, rash and severe arthritis.
- Chordoma: Chordomas are tumors originating from embryonic remnants of the primitive notochord
- Chronic Pancreatitis: Chronic ongoing inflammation of the pancreas causing digestive complaints.
- Coccydynia: pain in the area of the coccyx (tailbone)
- Colorectal cancer: Cancer of the colon (bowel) or rectum.
- Combat stress reaction: A term used in the military which refers to behaviors that result from the stress of fighting in a war.
- Common symptoms: The most common symptoms
- Constipation-predominant IBS: IBS is a functional bowel disorder characterized by chronic abdominal pain, discomfort, bloating, and alteration of bowel habits
- Diarrhea-predominant IBS: IBS is a functional bowel disorder characterized by chronic abdominal pain, discomfort, bloating, and alteration of bowel habits
- Diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis: A type of degenerative joint disease where spinal column ligaments lose their flexibility due to calcification.
- Digestive symptoms: Any symptoms affecting the digestive tract.
- Discitis: A subacute infection of the vertebral discs that usually occurs in children.
- Dysmenorrhea: Excessive menstrual-like cramping pain
- Ehlers danlos syndrome: An inherited disorder of the connective tissue causing it to become weak and fragile. Connective tissue is found in skin, muscles, tendons and ligaments and hence all of these may be affected by weakness
- Endometriosis: Misplaced uterus tissue causing scar tissue.
- Glenard syndrome: The downward displacement of internal organs.
- Hantavirosis: Infection by hantavirus which is a virus from the family Bunyaviridae. Infection generally causes severe febrile illness which can involve bleeding, shock and even death in some cases. The disease is transmitted by infected rodents.
- Head symptoms: Symptoms affecting the head or brain
- Listeriosis: Bacterial food poisoning
- Lordosis: Inward curvature of the spine.
- Metastatic cancer: Any cancer that has spread to other parts of the body.
- Muscle pain: Aches or pains affecting the muscles
- Musculoskeletal symptoms: Symptoms affecting muscles or bones of the skeleton.
- Myeloma: A primary malignancy of the plasma cells
- Nerve symptoms: Symptoms affecting the nerves
- Neuroendocrine carcinoma of the cervix: A rare form of cervical cancer which tends to be quite aggressive.
- Neurological symptoms: Any symptoms that are caused by neurological conditions
- Opioid withdrawal: Symptoms that occur when opioid use is discontinued or reduced. Symptoms may vary depending on the level of dependence. Opioids includes heroin, methadone and codeine.
- Osteomyelitis: An infection that occurs in bone
- Osteoporosis: Bone mass loss (osteoporosis) as a symptom
- Paget's disease of bone: A chronic, slowly progressing bone disorder where the bone is destroyed rapidly and replaced by abnormal bone which is dense and fragile.
- Pain: Any type of pain sensation symptoms.
- Pancreatic cancer: Pancreatic cancer is a malignant neoplasm of the pancreas
- Pelvic inflammatory disease: A condition which is characterized by an infection which is located in the upper female genital tract
- Polymyalgia rheumatica: A condition characterized by muscle pain and stiffness, fatigue and fever. It is often associated with giant-cell arteritis which is a related but more serious condition.
- Pregnancy symptoms: Symptoms related to pregnancy.
- Premenstrual syndrome: A collection of symptoms that some women suffer that occurs directly before menstruation
- Prostate Cancer: Cancer of the prostate.
- Prostatitis: Inflammation of the prostate
- Retroperitoneal fibrosis: A rare disorder involving the formation of a fibrous mass of tissue in the hollow space at the back of the abdomen. The mass can affect the flow of urine to the kidneys and may also affect other abdominal organs.
- Rickettsia: A self limiting condition that is transmitted by mites
- Scheuermann's disease: A rare disorder that causes abnormal spine development during adolescence and results in a rounded appearance to the back.
- Sciatica: neuralgia along the nerve course of the sciatic nerve
- Scoliosis: A condition which is characterized by lateral curvature of the spine
- Secondary Bone Cancer: Tumour development in bone as a result of spread from a primary malignant tumour from another body site (usually lung bronchus, breast and prostate)
- Sensations: Changes to sensations or the senses
- Sensory symptoms: Symptoms affecting the sensory systems.
- Septic abortion: An abortion associated with a uterine infection. The infection can occur during or just before or after an abortion. The infection can result from factors such as Chlamydia, IUD's or attempted abortion using infected tools.
- Spinal pain: Pain in the back.
- Spondylolisthesis: forward slippage of one vertebra over another.
- Spondylosis: Spinal degeneration of the discs or spinal joints
- Stress: Emotional stress (sometimes refers to physical stress)
- Swelling symptoms: Symptoms causing swelling or enlargement.
- Transverse myelitis: Inflammation of the spinal cord which results in various neurological and muscle symptoms. The inflammation can occur for no obvious reason or may result from a virus, bacterial infection, autoimmune disease or vaccination. The type and severity of symptoms is determined by the location and degree of inflammation.
- Urinary tract infection: Infection of the urinary tract
- Vertebral fracture: Any fracture which occurs to the vertebrae of the back
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Backache:
The following list of conditions
have 'Backache' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Backache or choose View All.
» Next page: Disease Center Information
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: