Diagnostic Tests for Black stool
Diagnostic Test list for Black stool:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Black stool
- Physical examination
- Look for signs of shock e.g. elevated heart rate, low blood pressure
- Abdominal examination for tenderness , masses, enlarged liver or spleen
- Examine for other evidence of chronic liver disease e.g. jaundice, bruising, enlarged breasts in males, scratch marks, swollen abdomen
- Digital rectal examination inspecting the color of the stool and for blood
- Blood tests
- Hemoglobin level will not be an accurate guide to blood loss during early stages
- Liver function tests looking for evidence of chronic liver disease
- Bleeding disorder screen if there is a personal history and/or family history of bleeding e.g. Coagulation studies , platelet count, hemophilia testing, platelet aggregation and release studies
- Carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) elevated in 65% of stomach cancers
- Other tests
- Stool tests - looking for occult blood to help confirm presence of true melena.
- Microscopy looking for ova, cysts, parasites of Hookworm
- Upper and lower endoscopy - looking for the source of the bleeding, biopsy to exclude cancer and to detect Helicobacter pylori (bacteria shown to increase the risk of peptic ulcer disease).
- Radiology investigation
- Radioactive scan following intravenous chromium or technetium-99 - may show the site of bleeding in obscure cases.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Black stool causes:
- Colon & Rectal Cancer: Home Testing
- Food Allergies & Intolerances: Home Testing:
- Digestive-Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Black stool:
The following list of conditions
have 'Black stool' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Black stool or choose View All.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: