Diagnostic Tests for Blind spot
Diagnostic Test list for Blind spot:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Blind spot
- Physical examination
- Visual acuity - reflects the integrity of the central field.
- Visual field testing - to detect either a contraction (a local or general reduction in the area of field) or a scotoma (an island of loss within the field). Use Confrontation testing, Perimetry testing and Central field testing. Mapping the visual field defect can help determine cause.
- Examination of pupils
- Ophthalmoscopy and slit lamp examination - to examine the optic nerve, macula and retina and assist in diagnosis of corneal opacities, cataracts, choroiditis, glaucoma, retinitis, retinal hemorrhage, detached retina.
- Ocular motility testing
- Measure intraocular pressure (tonometry) - to detect glaucoma.
- Blood tests
- If suspect pituitary tumor test prolactin, testosterone (in males), LH, FSH, TSH, thyroxine, cortisol
- Other tests
- Full neurological examination - if abnormalities other than eye pathology are found on examination may suggest multiple sclerosis, carotid artery thrombosis or insufficiency, basilar artery thrombosis or insufficiency, pseudotumor cerebri; if neurological examination is normal may suggest occipital lobe tumor, posterior cerebral artery thrombosis, hereditary optic atrophy, early pituitary tumor, tobacco or alcohol poisoning.
- CT Brain and/or MRI Brain (if neurological abnormalities are present) to detect stroke, optic nerve lesion, brain tumors
- Visually evoked potential (VEP) studies and/or spinal fluid analysis (if neurological abnormalities are present) to detect demyelinating disorders e.g. multiple sclerosis
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Blind spot causes:
- Vision & Eye Health: Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Blind spot:
The following list of conditions
have 'Blind spot' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Blind spot or choose View All.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: