Diagnostic Tests for Bloody diarrhea
Diagnostic Test list for Bloody diarrhea:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Bloody diarrhea
- Physical examination
- Pulse rate and blood pressure lying and sitting to assess the amount of bleeding and fluid loss
- Look for signs of shock due to massive blood loss and diarrhea (especially if associated with vomiting in children) e.g. cold extremities, clammy skin, shortness of breath, anxiety, low blood pressure, elevated pulse rate
- Abdominal palpation for mass or tenderness
- Examine the anal area looking for anal fissure, fistula or abscess which may be associated with Crohn's disease
- Stool culture and microscopy examination for red and white cells, bacteria, ovum and parasites
- Stool Clostridium difficile toxin - to detect antibiotic associated colitis.
- Proctosigmoidoscopy - looking for blood, inflammation, swelling, cancer or diverticula openings.
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR looking for anemia, infection or inflammation
- Electrolytes to assess loss e.g. low potassium, magnesium and calcium
- Iron studies looking for iron deficiency due to blood loss or malabsorption
- Vitamin B12 to assess malabsorption
- Radiological investigations
- Barium enema ( less accurate than colonoscopy) can diagnose ulcerative colitis ischemic colitis, diverticular disease
- Liver ultrasound if suspect liver abscess as complication of amoebiasis
- Colonoscopy - if diagnosis is uncertain after performing the above tests or the bloody diarrhea is persistent or recurrent.
- Other investigations that may be ordered by gastroenterologist include aortography and selective angiography (to detect ischemic colitis), small intestinal enteroscopy (to detect small bowel tumors, diverticula)
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Bloody diarrhea causes:
- Colon & Rectal Cancer: Home Testing
- Fatigue: Related Home Tests:
- Home Anemia Diagnostic Tests
- Food Allergies & Intolerances: Home Testing:
- Digestive-Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Bloody diarrhea:
The following list of conditions
have 'Bloody diarrhea' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Bloody diarrhea or choose View All.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: