Diagnostic Tests for Bloody stool
Diagnostic Test list for Bloody stool:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Bloody stool
- Physical examination
- Pulse rate and blood pressure lying and sitting to assess the amount of bleeding
- Look for signs of shock due to massive blood loss e.g. cold extremities, clammy skin, shortness of breath, anxiety, low blood pressure, elevated pulse rate
- Examine for signs of chronic liver disease and portal hypertension e.g. bruising, jaundice, enlarged liver and spleen, abdominal distension due to ascetic fluid, ankle swelling
- Abdominal palpation for mass or tenderness
- Examine the anal area looking for anal fissure
- Examine for signs of bleeding disorders e.g. bruising , bleeding gums, swollen painful joints
- Digital rectal examination - examining for a rectal mass (which would suggest rectal polyp, rectal cancer or internal hemorrhoids) or local tenderness.
- Proctosigmoidoscopy - looking for blood, inflammation, polyps, cancer, diverticula openings or fissures.
- Stool culture and examination for bacteria, ovum and parasites
- Blood tests
- Full blood count looking for anemia
- Iron studies looking for iron deficiency due to blood loss
- Radiological investigations
- Barium enema ( less accurate than colonoscopy)
- Colonoscopy - if the has been a change in bowel habit, diagnosis is uncertain after performing the above tests or the bleeding is persistent or recurrent.
- Other investigations that may be ordered by gastroenterologist include angiography (to detect angiodysplasia), small intestinal enteroscopy ( to detect small bowel tumors, diverticula, and Meckel's diverticulum), radioisotope studies ( can detect angiodysplasia dn Meckel's diverticulum)
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Bloody stool causes:
- Colon & Rectal Cancer: Home Testing
- Fatigue: Related Home Tests:
- Home Anemia Diagnostic Tests
- Food Allergies & Intolerances: Home Testing:
- Digestive-Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Bloody stool:
The following list of conditions
have 'Bloody stool' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Bloody stool or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Bloody stool:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Bloody stool'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: