Diagnostic Tests for Breast symptoms
Diagnostic Test list for Breast symptoms:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Breast symptoms
- Physical examination
- Examine the breasts when sitting and lying flat and assess any breast lump found for position, size, shape, consistency, tenderness, mobility and attachment to the overlying skin. e.g. a hard, irregular lump is suspicious of breast cancer; a firm, smooth and mobile breast lump may suggest fibroadenoma
- Axillary and supraclavicular lymph node examination
- Examine to see if there is a deformity of the breast associated with the mass e.g. an orange peel appearance of the skin over the tumor, retraction of the skin, retraction of the nipple or ulceration of the skin overlying the mass suggests breast cancer
- Examine lump to see if it transilluminates - may suggest a cyst of the breast or a galactocoele. If it does not transilluminate it is probably a benign or malignant tumor.
- If suspect breast cancer inspect liver , lungs and spine for evidence of metastases
- Blood tests
- Other tests
- Mammogram - looking for signs of breast cancer including an irregular infiltrating mass with focal spotty microcalcification in older women . Mammography is unreliable in younger women.
- Breast Ultrasound - most useful in women less than 30 years of age, for pregnant and lactating women, differentiating between fluid filled cysts and solid mass, palpable masses at periphery of breast tissue.
- Cytological examination of any nipple discharge - for exfoliated cancer cells may be helpful in diagnosis.
- Biopsy of breast lump - fine needle aspirate, fine needle biopsy or excisional biopsy.
- Biopsy of nipple erosion if suspect Paget's disease
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Breast symptoms causes:
- Menopause: Related Home Testing:
- Vaginal Health: Home Testing:
- Breast Cancer: Related Home Tests:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Breast symptoms:
The following list of conditions
have 'Breast symptoms' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Breast symptoms or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Breast symptoms:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Breast symptoms'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: