Diagnostic Tests for Breath symptoms
Diagnostic Test list for Breath symptoms:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Breath symptoms
- Physical examination
- Note nature of odor - if sweet may suggest diabetic ketoacidosis ( sickly sweet smell), alcoholism ( distinctive), liver failure( a sweet smell) and maple syrup urine disease; if unpleasant or foul may suggest renal failure (urine or fish-like breath due to ammonia), anaerobic infections of the mouth, nose, pharynx or chest (putrid) or cigarettes ( distinctive).
- Examine state of teeth and teeth hygiene and note whether the teeth are real or false - loose fitting teeth may be responsible for mouth ulcers or decayed teeth which may cause breath odor.
- Remove false teeth for complete examination
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR (may suggest infection)
- Renal function tests ( may suggest renal failure as cause)
- Liver function tests ( may suggest hepatic coma as cause )
- Blood sugar may suggest diabetic ketoacidosis
- Blood alcohol level
- Other tests
- Urine analysis - glucose and ketones present may suggest diabetic ketoacidosis as cause.
- Culture of the mouth, gums and nasopharynx - may be necessary to diagnose anaerobic infections.
- Sputum microscopy and culture
- X-ray or CT scan of chest or sinuses - if suspect respiratory infection as cause of breath odor.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Breath symptoms causes:
- Lung & Respiratory Health Tests:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Breath symptoms:
The following list of conditions
have 'Breath symptoms' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Breath symptoms or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Breath symptoms:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Breath symptoms'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: