Diagnostic Tests for Breathing difficulties
Diagnostic Test list for Breathing difficulties:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Breathing difficulties
- Physical examination
- Blood pressure, pulse rate, temperature
- Inspect for blueness of tongue and skin, reduced alertness and distress due to breathing problems
- Lung examination to listen to breath sound quality , intensity and for added sounds. Crackles suggest congestive heart failure, pneumonia, chronic bronchitis, lung fibrosis or bronchiectasis. Wheezes suggest asthma, chronic bronchitis or emphysema
- Abdominal examination for enlarged liver which may be a sign of congestive heart failure
- Blood tests
- Full blood count to exclude anemia as cause of breathing difficulties and also to detect signs of infection, inflammation and asthma ( increased eosinophil cells)
- Renal function tests and electrolytes
- Serial cardiac enzymes and troponin to detect cardiac damage from heart attack
- Arterial blood gases - to look for signs of pulmonary embolism, pneumothorax, pneumonia and other lung diseases.
- Other tests
- Cardiac catheterization and pulmonary angiography - may be needed to identify acute pulmonary embolism, chronic recurrent pulmonary embolism, intra-cardiac shunts and pulmonary hypertension.
- Bronchoscopy - may be needed to exclude foreign body, lung cancer, bronchiectasis and sarcoidosis.
- Sputum microscopy and culture - to detect bacterial and fungal causes of pneumonia and exacerbations of bronchiectasis and cystic fibrosis.
- Sputum acid-fast stains for tuberculosis if indicated and routine sputum stains are negative
- Mantoux test skin testing - if suspicious for tuberculosis active infection.
- Electrocardiograph (ECG) - to look for signs of heart attack and some causes of congestive cardiac failure.
- Pulmonary function tests - can be useful in diagnosing asthma and distinguishing pulmonary fibrosis from emphysema.
- Exercise testing - can be helpful in distinguishing between lung and heart disease and also assessing fitness.
- Radiological investigations congestive cardiac failure
- Ventilation - perfusion scan to exclude pulmonary embolism.
- Pulmonary angiography if ventilation- perfusion scan is inconclusive in ruling out pulmonary embolism
- Echocardiogram can help diagnose congestive cardiac failure
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Breathing difficulties causes:
- Lung & Respiratory Health Tests:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Breathing difficulties:
The following list of conditions
have 'Breathing difficulties' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Breathing difficulties or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Breathing difficulties:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Breathing difficulties'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: