Diagnostic Tests for Bruising
Diagnostic Test list for Bruising:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Bruising
- Physical examination
- Examine for bruises which may suggest Hemophilia, Christmas disease, platelet disorders or disseminated intravascular coagulation
- Examine for petechial body rash (pinhead size red rash) which is common in any disorder that might cause thrombocytopenia (reduced platelets), platelet dysfunction or vasculitis
- Examine for bleeding gums - if bleeding gums is present with skin bruises suggests platelet disorders or disseminated intravascular coagulation.
- Look for gum hypertrophy (enlargement) which occurs in monocytic Leukemia, pregnancy, scurvy, gingivitis and in patients taking phenytoin
- Examine for evidence of malignancy e.g. enlarged lymph nodes
- Examine for enlarged spleen which may suggest Hodgkin's disease, leukemia, lupus erythematosus, thrombocytopenic purpura or aplastic anemia
- Examine for swollen painful joints typical of Hemophilia or Rheumatoid arthritis
- Blood tests
- Full blood count
- Platelet count - reduced in Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, leukemia, aplastic anemia, lupus erythematosus, certain drugs.
- Coagulation profile including INR, PT, APTT
- Skin bleeding time
- Fibrinogen assay and estimation of fibrin degradation products if suspect Disseminated intravascular Coagulation
- More sophisticated bleeding disorder tests depending on suspicion e.g. Hemophilia screening, von Willebrand's disease, platelet function studies, platelet antibodies
- Antinuclear antibodies may help to diagnose lupus erythematosus
- Rheumatoid factor may help to diagnose Rheumatoid arthritis
- Plasma ascorbic acid level if suspect scurvy
- Other tests
- Urine analysis - searching for blood.
- Bone marrow examination - may be required to exclude secondary causes of thrombocytopenia (reduced platelets) e.g. leukemia, aplastic anemia.
- Radiology investigations - Spleen, liver and bone scans, CT scan of pelvis and abdomen if indicated.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Bruising causes:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Bruising:
The following list of conditions
have 'Bruising' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Bruising or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Bruising:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Bruising'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: