Diagnostic Tests for Bulging neck veins
Diagnostic Test list for Bulging neck veins:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Bulging neck veins
- Physical examination
- Examine the Internal jugular vein for height and character. It gives information about the function of the right side of the heart. Position the patient lying down at a 45 degree angle. If the height is more than 3 cm above the sternal angle it is often a sign of failure of the right ventricle of the heart or volume overload
- Examine the cardiovascular system for signs of right ventricular failure (e.g. blue skin of the peripheries, tender enlarged liver, ankle swelling , distended abdomen due to ascites); tricuspid heart valve stenosis or regurgitation ( e.g. distinctive heart murmur); constrictive pericarditis ( e.g. low blood pressure, impalpable heart beat, soft heart sounds, enlarged liver and spleen, swollen ankles)
- Examine for signs of superior vena caval obstruction ( obstruction of the large vein that returns blood from head, neck and upper limbs to the heart) e.g. blue face, swelling of the eyes, nil pulsation of the internal jugular vein, bulging veins on chest wall
- Examine for signs of a cause of the superior vena caval obstruction e.g. lung cancer, goiter, aortic aneurysm
- Blood tests
- Radiological investigations
- Chest X-Ray may show small heart of constrictive pericarditis; enlarged heart of ight heart failure; lung cancer or chronic lung disease
- Echocardiogram to detect heart valve disease, assess heart function and can detect pericarditis
- CT scan chest may detect lung cancer or other chest tumors that may the cause of superior vena caval obstruction
- Thyroid ultrasound scan to examine for retrosternal goiter
- Cardiac catherisation may be required to measure pressures within the heart
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Bulging neck veins causes:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Bulging neck veins:
The following list of conditions
have 'Bulging neck veins' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Bulging neck veins or choose View All.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: