Diagnostic Tests for Cerebrovascular symptoms
Diagnostic Test list for Cerebrovascular symptoms:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Cerebrovascular symptoms
- Physical examination
- Pulse and blood pressure
- Cranial nerve examination including visual acuity and visual fields, pupils and eye movements, facial muscles and facial sensation, hearing, gag reflex and tongue
- Examine gait
- Examine upper and lower limbs noting tone, power, reflexes, co-ordination and sensation
- Listen to carotid arteries for bruits (sign of reduced blood flow to brain)
- Blood tests
- Full blood count to detect polycythaemia, infection or inflammation
- Electrolytes and renal function tests
- Blood glucose
- Syphilis serology to detect possible neurosyphilis
- Clotting screen if appropriate (antithrombin III deficiency, protein C or S deficiency, lupus anticoagulant)
- Lupus erythematosus serology e.g. antinuclear antibodies, double stranded DNA, cardiolipin antibodies
- Blood cultures if any chance of bacterial endocarditis
- Electrocardiogram - to detect atrial fibrillation.
- Radiological tests
- CT Scan Brain - will distinguish the site of the stroke; distinguish between hemorrhagic and ischemic stroke; rule out brain tumor and subdural haematoma(localized hemorrhage outside the brain).
- MRI Brain can detect changes of stroke within a few hours
- Chest X-Ray - may detect large heart due to high blood pressure; detect pneumonia that may be a complication of stroke.
- Carotid Doppler to detect Carotid artery stenosis. If over 70% stenosis may benefit from surgery
- Echocardiogram - to detect valvular heart disease or evidence of endocarditis.
- Cerebral angiogram - if considering surgery.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Cerebrovascular symptoms causes:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Cerebrovascular symptoms:
The following list of conditions
have 'Cerebrovascular symptoms' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Cerebrovascular symptoms or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Cerebrovascular symptoms:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Cerebrovascular symptoms'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: