Diagnostic Tests for Chest pressure
Diagnostic Test list for Chest pressure:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Chest pressure
- Physical examination
- General appearance e.g. pale and sweating must consider heart attack or pulmonary embolus
- Blood pressure - may be high in heart attack, anxiety or panic attack.
- Pulses - check rate and regularity.
- Temperature may be elevated in acute bronchitis and pneumonia
- Listen to heart for murmurs or added sounds
- Listen to lungs for evidence of acute bronchitis, pneumonia and asthma
- Examine legs for evidence of deep venous thrombosis which may suggest pulmonary embolus as cause of chest pain
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR
- Electrolytes and renal function tests
- Liver function tests
- Cardiac enzymes and troponin levels can help diagnose heart attack
- Electrocardiogram - may help detect angina, heart attack, arrhythmias and pulmonary embolus.
- Radiological investigations
- Chest X-Ray may detect congestive cardiac failure as a result of heart attack, pneumonia and asthma
- Thallium-201 scan is useful in diagnosing both heart attack and angina
- Coronary angiography should be considered if suspect heart attack and condition deteriorates and may also be necessary to help diagnose angina
- Ventilation-perfusion scan if suspect pulmonary embolism
- Pulmonary angiography should be considered if arterial blood gases and ventilation-perfusion scan are negative and still suspect pulmonary embolism
- Lung function tests - can help diagnose asthma and sarcoidosis.
- Exercise tolerance test - may help diagnose angina.
- 24hr holter monitor - is useful in diagnosing arrhythmias and angina.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Chest pressure causes:
- Lung & Respiratory Health Tests:
- Nerve Neuropathy: Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Chest pressure:
The following list of conditions
have 'Chest pressure' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Chest pressure or choose View All.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: