Glossary for Cholesterol and lipids
Medical terms related to Cholesterol and lipids or mentioned in this section include:
- Abdominal symptoms: Symptoms affecting the abdomen or digestive tract
- Abetalipoproteinemia: A rare genetic disorder involving fat metabolism. The disorder is also known as Bassen-Kornzweig syndrome. Signs of the disease include acanthocytosis, little or no serum beta-lipoproteins and hypocholesterolemia. In severe cases, steatorrhea, ataxia, nystagmus, motor incoordination and retinitis pigmentosa may also occur.
- Abnormal blood test symptoms: Abnormal results from diagnostic blood tests.
- Acquired total lipodystrophy: A rare acquired disorder that involves adipose tissue abnormalities and is characterized by loss of adipose tissue through the body. The disorder is very similar to the congenital form but the liver involvement is more severe.
- Apo A-I deficiency: Low plasma HDL cholesterol that tends to run in families.
- Atorvastatin -- Teratogenic Agent: There is strong evidence to indicate that exposure to Atorvastatin during pregnancy may have a teratogenic effect on the fetus. A teratogen is a substance that can cause birth defects. The likelihood and severity of defects may be affected by the level of exposure and the stage of pregnancy that the exposure occurred at.
- Berardinelli-Seip congenital lipodystrophy: A rare genetic disorder characterized by diabetes mellitus, loss of body fat, hepatomegaly, enlarged genitals, increased skeletal growth and other abnormalities.
- Berardinelli-Seip congenital lipodystrophy, type 1: A rare genetic disorder characterized by early-onset diabetes mellitus, loss of body fat, serious insulin resistance, high blood triglycerides and fatty liver. Type 1 is distinguished from type 2 by the origin of the genetic defect. Type 1 is caused by a defect on the AGPAT2 gene on chromosome 9q34.3. Type 1 seems to be less severe with some cases of type 2 resulting in premature death which can occur as early as the first year of life. Type 2 also involves mental retardation which is not seen in type 1.
- Berardinelli-Seip congenital lipodystrophy, type 2: A rare genetic disorder characterized by early-onset diabetes mellitus, loss of body fat, serious insulin resistance, high blood triglycerides and fatty liver. Type 2 is distinguished from type 2 by the origin of the genetic defect. Type 2 is caused by a defect on the BSCL2 gene on chromosome 11q13. Type 2 seems to be more severe with some cases resulting in premature death which can occur as early as the first year of life. Type 2 also involves mental retardation which is not seen in type 1.
- Blood lipid symptoms: Symptoms affecting the lipids such as cholesterol in the blood.
- Blood symptoms: Symptoms affecting the blood and its blood cells.
- Body symptoms: Symptoms affecting the entire body features.
- Cerebral Arteriosclerosis: Hardening or blockage of arteries in the brain.
- Cholesterol and lipids: Levels of blood or urine cholesterol or lipids as a symptom
- Chromosome 14 uniparental disomy syndrome: A rare chromosomal disorder where two homologues are obtained from one parent.
- Chromosome 15q, deletion: A rare chromosomal disorder involving deletion of genetic material from the long arm of chromosome 15.
- Chromosome 3, trisomy 3p: A rare chromosomal disorder where a portion of the short arm (p) of chromosome 3 is duplicated so there is three copies of it rather than the normal two.
- Face symptoms: Symptoms affecting the face
- Fowler-Christmas-Chapple syndrome: A rare syndrome characterized by the association of polycystic ovaries with the abnormal functioning of the urinary valve.
- Hashimoto's thyroiditis: Hashimoto thyroiditis is characterized by the destruction of thyroid cells by various cell- and antibody-mediated immune processes. Patients with Hashimoto thyroiditis have antibodies to various thyroid antigens, the most frequently detected of which include antithyroid peroxidase (anti-TPO), antithyroglobulin (anti-Tg), and, to a lesser extent, TSH receptor-blocking antibodies.
- Head symptoms: Symptoms affecting the head or brain
- High blood pressure: Excessive blood pressure.
- Hypercholesterolemia: is the presence of high levels of cholesterol in the blood.
- Hyperlipidemia: elevated lipid levels in the blood
- Hypothyroidism: The decreased activity of the thyroid gland
- IgA nephropathy: A rare disorder where kidney inflammation leads to a build up of the antibody (IgA) in the kidney which results in the characteristic symptom of blood in the urine.
- Infantile Refsum Disease: Genetic disease affecting nerve and muscle control.
- Kidney symptoms: Symptoms affecting one or both kidneys.
- Lipid metabolism conditions: Disorders affecting the metabolism of lipids (blood fats), including cholesterol.
- Metabolic disorder: occurs when abnormal chemical reactions occur in the body
- Munk disease: A type of kidney disease that is more prevalent in children. It involves the build up of fats in the cells of the kidney tubules. The symptoms experienced may vary with the severity of the condition.
- Nephrotic syndrome: A condition involving excess loss of protein in the urine, reduced albumin levels in the blood and swelling.
- Nerve symptoms: Symptoms affecting the nerves
- Neuropathy, hereditary motor and sensory, Okinawa type: A dominantly inherited, slow-progressing motor and sensory nerve disease which primarily involves the proximal muscles (i.e. the muscles closest to the trunk of the body).
- Niemann-Pick disease, type B: Niemann-Pick disease is an inherited metabolic disorder where lipids are not able to be metabolized adequately and hence build up and cause damage in various parts of the body such as the spleen, liver, lungs, bone marrow and brain. The different types of the disease are due to different genetic mutations. Type B is a chronic form of the condition with no neurological involvement and patients can survive into adulthood.
- Numbness of both elbows: Numbness of both elbows refers to the loss or reduction of sensation in the elbows.
- Obesity: Excessive body weight especially fat.
- Pancreatitis: Any inflammation that occurs in the pancreas
- Physical inactivity: When an individual is physically inactive
- Polycystic ovaries urethral sphincter dysfunction: A rare syndrome characterized by the association of polycystic ovaries with the abnormal functioning of the urinary valve.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome: Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is an endocrine disorder that affects approximately 5% of all women.
- Pregnancy symptoms: Symptoms related to pregnancy.
- Progeria short stature pigmented nevi: A very rare inherited disorder characterized by premature aging, short stature, and immune system deficiency. The type and severity of symptoms is variable.
- Raised Cholesterol: Raised cholesterol levels in the blood.
- Renal failure: A condition characterized by a failure of the kidney to excrete toxic metabolites from the body
- Sheehan Syndrome: A rare condition that occurs in women who suffer a severe uterine hemorrhage during childbirth. The resulting blood loss may damage the pituitary gland and result in hypopituitarism.
- Simvastatin -- Teratogenic Agent: There is evidence to indicate that exposure to Simvastatin during pregnancy may have a teratogenic effect on the fetus. A teratogen is a substance that can cause birth defects. The likelihood and severity of defects may be affected by the level of exposure and the stage of pregnancy that the exposure occurred at.
- Total lipodystrophy: A rare disorder that can be acquired or inherited and involves adipose tissue abnormalities. The disorder is characterized by loss of adipose tissue through the body.
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Cholesterol and lipids:
The following list of conditions
have 'Cholesterol and lipids' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Cholesterol and lipids or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Cholesterol and lipids:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Cholesterol and lipids'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Join in at the forums
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: