Diagnostic Tests for Coma
Diagnostic Test list for Coma:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Coma
- Physical examination
- Perform basic CPR if person is not breathing or has absent pulse
- Determine the level of consciousness using the Glasgow com scale which determines the degree of coma
- Note general skin color - e.g. cyanosis (blueness of tongue and peripheries), bruising, jaundice, rashes, hyperpigmentation of Addison's disease.
- Look for evidence of injury to head
- Examine for neck stiffness which may indicate meningitis or subarachnoid hemorrhage
- Look for injection marks signifying drug addicts or diabetics
- Breath odor may be a feature of alcohol, diabetes, kidney or liver failure
- Hydration status - dehydration may signify conditions such as high fever with infections, renal failure or hyperglycemia.
- Temperature - if fever suggests severe infection; if low temperature consider hypothyroidism.
- Blood pressure - if low may suggest shock due to blood loss, dehydration, anaphylaxis, heart failure or septicemia.
- Pulse rate and irregularity noting arrhythmias
- Examine heart and lungs for signs of disease
- Examine abdomen for tenderness and masses
- Examine nervous system looking for local signs that may stroke, brain abscess, brain tumor, meningitis, epidural or subdural haematoma
- Look for papilledema (swelling of the optic disc) - would indicate brain tumor, brain abscess or subdural haematoma.
- Blood tests
- Urine tests
- Urine microscopy and culture
- Urine drug screen
- Electroencephalograph - if seizure was involved in collapse.
- Radiological investigations
- Spinal tap if fever and neck stiffness is present to help diagnose subarachnoid hemorrhage or meningitis (perform only after CT brain)
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Coma:
The following list of conditions
have 'Coma' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Coma or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Coma:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Coma'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: