Diagnostic Tests for Coordination problems
Diagnostic Test list for Coordination problems:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Coordination problems
- Physical examination
- Eye examination looking for nystagmus ( rhythmical oscillation of the eyeballs) which may be due to disease of the cerebellum; also look for papilledema which may suggest brain tumor or hydrocephalus; look for paralysis of eye movements which may suggest stroke, brain cancer, head injury, Wernicke's encephalopathy due to alcohol abuse
- Neurological examination including gait, tone, power, reflexes and co-ordination in upper and lower limbs looking for signs of stroke, cerebellar disease, transient ischemic attack, multiple sclerosis, brain tumor, Parkinson's disease and other diseases of the nervous system
- Observe for chorea (non- repetitive abrupt involuntary jerky movements) that can cause coordination problems. Causes of chorea include Huntington's chorea, Sydenham's chorea, Wilson's disease and senility
- Tests of co-ordination (e.g. finger -nose test , rapidly alternating movements and rebound) are 3 types of tests that assess co-ordination and can detect disease of the cerebellum
- If signs of cerebellar disease are bilateral consider multiple sclerosis or Friedrich's ataxia
- Muscle weakness may also cause coordination problems e.g. stroke
- Blood tests
- Urine tests
- 24 hour Urinary copper - is increased in Wilson's disease.
- Urine drug screen - if suspect marijuana, amphetamines or other illicit drugs.
- Radiological examination
- CT or MRI brain - can detect many different brain diseases and disorders.
- Spinal tap - may be required to diagnose Multiple sclerosis or encephalitis.
- Electrophysiological tests such as visual-evoked response (VER) - may be required to diagnose Multiple sclerosis.
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Coordination problems:
The following list of conditions
have 'Coordination problems' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Coordination problems or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Coordination problems:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Coordination problems'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: