Diagnostic Tests for Coughing spasms
Diagnostic Test list for Coughing spasms:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Coughing spasms
- Physical examination
- Listen to character of cough for whoop or for stridor
- Inspect sputum for color and consistency if possible
- Examine lungs noting breath sounds and their intensity and also the presence of added sounds
- Blood tests
- Full blood count - for evidence of infection.
- ESR - may be elevated with any bacterial chest infection, bronchiectasis, tuberculosis.
- Serology for atypical pneumonia organisms - e.g. mycoplasma, chlamydia and pertussis or influenza if indicated.
- Blood cultures - if fever is present.
- Nasopharyngeal aspirate test for pertussis (whooping cough)
- Sputum microscopy and culture
- Sputum culture for acid fast bacilli to rule out tuberculosis if suspected
- Lung function tests - can help distinguish between obstructive lung disease e.g. asthma, emphysema and bronchitis and restrictive lung disease e.g. pulmonary fibrosis.
- Radiological investigations
- Chest X-Ray - can show many lung problems.
- CT scan or MRI scan of chest - more sensitive then chest X-Ray, used to further characterize abnormalities found on Chest X-Ray.
- Tuberculin skin test - may diagnose tuberculosis, but misleading if previous BCG vaccination.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Coughing spasms causes:
- Lung & Respiratory Health Tests:
- Cold & Flu: Home Testing:
- Nerve Neuropathy: Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Coughing spasms:
The following list of conditions
have 'Coughing spasms' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Coughing spasms or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Coughing spasms:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Coughing spasms'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: