Diagnostic Tests for Cramps
Diagnostic Test list for Cramps:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Cramps
- Physical examination
- Inspect for abdominal distention - may suggest bowel obstruction.
- Palpate the abdomen gently - to assess tenderness, rigidity of abdomen and to feel for any masses.
- Listen to the bowel sounds - to assess possible bowel obstruction.
- Examine for inguinal or femoral hernia - common causes of small bowel obstruction.
- Rectal examination - noting any tenderness, masses or blood.
- Urine examination
- To assess presence of glucose, ketones for diabetes
- To assess presence of blood in renal colic
- To assess presence of bilirubin in cholangitis
- Blood test
- Full blood count - looking for anemia, inflammation, infection.
- Electrolytes - looking for signs of dehydration or electrolyte imbalance e.g. low sodium may cause leg cramps; gastroenteritis may cause electrolyte imbalance.
- Renal function tests
- Liver function tests - looking for changes due to gallstones or cholecystitis.
- Pregnancy test - if positive consider normal pregnancy or miscarriage as cause of cramps.
- Blood cultures - if there are chills and fever.
- Stool examination - for occult blood, ovum or parasites.
- Radiographic investigations
- Radiological investigations depending on location of mass and associated symptoms
- X-ray abdomen - looking for bowel obstruction, constipation.
- Ultrasound of abdomen and /or pelvis - looking for gallstones, miscarriage.
- IVP - looking for signs of urinary stones.
- Nuclear scan of gallbladder - useful in detecting acute cholecystitis.
- CT Abdomen
- Endoscopic procedure - to help diagnose stomach cancer and peptic ulcer (which can cause gastric outlet obstruction and abdominal cramps), colon cancer and diverticular disease (which can cause large bowel obstruction).
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Cramps causes:
- Nerve Neuropathy: Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Cramps:
The following list of conditions
have 'Cramps' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Cramps or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Cramps:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Cramps'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: