Some of the possible treatments for Croup from various sources may include:
- Maintenance of effective oxygenation and ventilation
- Nebulised epinephrine
- Antibiotics are not indicated
- Pulmicort respules
- Nebulised vasoconstrictotrs
Treatments for Croup
The following treatments are listed for Croup
in our knowledge base:
- Mild cases have simple treatment but breathing problems may need emergency treatment
- Home treatment - in most cases the child can be cared for at home unless severe symptoms arise.
- Steam inhalation - such as by steaming up the bathroom.
- Steam inhalation with tincture
- Steam inhalation with benzoin
- Seek medical advice if croup does not settle after steam therapy
- Mild sedatives - under medical advice
- Mild painkillers - under medical advice
- Clear fluids
- Keep child warm
- Avoid cold weather - may trigger an attack
- Emergency treatment - for breathing difficulties
- Emergency tracheotomy
- Antibiotics are not helpful
- Avoid smoking or exposure to passive smoke
- Ibuprofen - but ask your doctor first.
- Avoid aspirin - because of Reye's syndrome
- Avoid dehydration
Alternative Treatments for Croup
Alternative treatments, home remedies, other other complementary therapies that have been listed as possibly helpful for Croup in various sources may include:
- Belladonna homeopathic remedy
- Hepar sulph homeopathic remedy
- Lachesis homeopathic remedy
- Aconite homeopathic remedy
- Spongia homeopathic remedy
- Antimonium tart homeopathic remedy
- Kali bichromicum homeopathic remedy
- Remain calm by your child
- Sit in or near a steamy shower
- Cold air
- Humidifier (cool or warm)
- Oral fever reducer
- Sleep near your child
- Chinese medicine
Unlabeled Drugs and Medications to treat Croup:
Unlabelled alternative drug treatments for Croup may include:
- Enpak Refill
- Mar-Pred 40
- Medrol Acne Lotion
- Medrol Enpak
- Medrol Veriderm Cream
- Neo-Medrol Acne Lotion
- Neo-Medrol Veriderm
- Rep-Pred 80
Latest treatments for Croup
The following medications/drugs/procedures are some of the latest treatments for Croup:
Treatments for Causes of Croup
Review the treatment information pages for various causes of Croup:
More causes: not all possible causes for Croup are listed above; for a full list refer to causes of Croup.
Only your doctor can advise whether any of these treatments are appropriate
for your specific medical situation.
Always discuss all treatment options with your doctor before
making a decision,
including whether to start or discontinue any treatment plan.
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Croup:
The following list of conditions
have 'Croup' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Croup or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Croup:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Croup'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: