Diagnostic Tests for Cyanosis
Diagnostic Test list for Cyanosis:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Cyanosis
- Physical examination
- Temperature, Blood pressure and pulse rate - to assess possible shock.
- Cardiovascular examination for murmur or enlarged heart - may suggest rheumatic carditis, congenital heart disease or congestive heart failure.
- Examine for reduced or absent peripheral pulses, cool peripheries, absence of hairs on peripheries to diagnose peripheral vascular disease
- Examine respiratory system for any lung causes of cyanosis
- If blue hands; examine for finger tip ulcers which may be a complication of Raynaud's phenomenon and also examine for any signs of rheumatoid arthritis, lupus erythematosus, systemic sclerosis, polyarteritis nodosa, Buerger's disease, polycythaemia, leukemia, polymyositis and dermatomyositis that may cause Raynaud's phenomenon
- Blood tests
- Full blood count - to look for signs of leukemia or polycythaemia which may cause Raynaud's phenomenon; polycythaemia can cause central cyanosis; anemia of chronic disease.
- ESR may be raised in lupus erythematosus, systemic sclerosis, Rheumatoid arthritis, polyarteritis nodosa
- Rheumatoid factor, ANA antibodies, ENA antibodies, dsDNA antibodies, antinuclear and anticentromere antibodies to diagnose possible causes of Raynaud's phenomenon
- Blood test for methemoglobin or sulfhemoglobin - If there is a history of drug ingestion.
- Serology for pertussis if suspect whooping cough
- Arterial blood gases
- Lung function tests
- Radiological investigations
- Chest X-ray
- Ventilation perfusion scan - if suspect pulmonary embolism.
- Pulmonary arteriography may be needed to confirm a pulmonary embolism
- If peripheral embolism is suspected, perform angiography of that artery
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Cyanosis:
The following list of conditions
have 'Cyanosis' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Cyanosis or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Cyanosis:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Cyanosis'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: