Diagnostic Tests for Developmental problems
Diagnostic Test list for Developmental problems:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Developmental problems
- General appearance and observation
- Looking for any dysmorphic ( abnormality of shape) features of face and body - e.g. Down syndrome, Cornelia de Lange syndrome, Prader-Willi syndrome, Soto's syndrome.
- Observe the child's behavior and interaction with yourself. If child is alert, interested in new objects, keen to explore and relates in a friendly manner, a developmental problem is more likely because of an isolated condition rather than global retardation
- If child obese it can delay gross motor function
- Observe infant health clinic booklet - to check growth patterns of weight, height and head circumference.
- Physical examination
- A careful physical examination must be performed to exclude any acute or chronic illness
- Neurological examination to look for focal neurological signs and papilledema
- Visual acuity
- Assessment of vision and hearing
- Blood tests
- Full blood count
- Electrolytes, calcium, renal function tests
- Blood sugar level
- Liver function tests
- Thyroid function tests
- Cytogenetics for karyotyping - e.g. looking for genetic syndromes e.g. Down's syndrome, Fragile-X syndrome.
- Serology for congenital infections in a child
- Serum creatinine phosphokinase - in child not walking be 18 months if suspect Duchenne muscular dystrophy.
- Screen for congenital infection - e.g. paired mother and baby serology for rubella, toxoplasma, HIV, syphilis and CMV.
- Urine tests
- Urine metabolic screening in children if suspect metabolic and storage diseases
- Urine drug screen
- Pure tone Audiometry - to assess hearing, especially if speech delay.
- Radiological investigations
- CT scan or MRI brain may sometimes be useful
- EEG - may rarely be helpful.
- Denver developmental screening test in children - compares all aspects of a child's development with a population of normal children at the same age.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Developmental problems causes:
- Child Behavior: Home Testing
- Child General Health: Home Testing
- Mental Health (Adults): Home Testing
- Cold & Flu: Home Testing:
- Mental Health: Home Testing:
- Brain & Neurological Disorders: Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Developmental problems:
The following list of conditions
have 'Developmental problems' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Developmental problems or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Developmental problems:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Developmental problems'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: