Diagnostic Tests for Double vision
Diagnostic Test list for Double vision:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Double vision
- Eye examination
- Visual acuity
- Visual fields
- Look for associated proptosis (forward displacement of the eyeball). If bilateral may suggest hyperthyroidism from Graves disease. If unilateral
- Look for associated chemosis (swelling of the conjunctiva), ecchymoses (bruising around the eye) or periorbital edema (swelling of the eyelids) which can suggest cavernous sinus thrombosis
- If unilateral chemosis (swelling of the conjunctiva), ecchymoses (bruising around the eye and proptosis (forward displacement of the eyeball) consider arteriovenous aneurysm
- Physical examination
- Examine the central nervous system - if find abnormalities such as limb weakness or increased tone in the limbs would suggest a brain stem stroke or brain stem tumor (because advanced intracranial pressure would also put pressure on the 6th cranial nerve and thus causes double vision) or multiple sclerosis.
- Examine cranial nerves for abnormalities, especially 3rd, 4th and 6th cranial nerves which are responsible for eye muscle movements
- 3rd nerve palsy will present with complete ptosis (falling of the eyelid), dilated pupil, proptosis (forward displacement of the eyeball) and eye turned down and out
- 4th nerve palsy will present with inability of eye to look down and in and with the person holding their head on a tilt
- 6th nerve palsy will present with the eye turned inwards and unable to move outwards
- Blood tests
- Radiological investigations
- Skull X-Ray and Sinus X-Ray - if fever is present.
- CT Brain, sinuses and orbits - if fever is present or suspect orbital or brain tumor.
- MRI brain may be necessary to diagnose multiple sclerosis and some brain stem strokes
- Tensilon (edrophonium) test - if double vision is intermittent and suspect myasthenia gravis.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Double vision causes:
- Vision & Eye Health: Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Double vision:
The following list of conditions
have 'Double vision' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Double vision or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Double vision:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Double vision'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: