Diagnostic Tests for Droopy eye-lid
Diagnostic Test list for Droopy eye-lid:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Droopy eye-lid
- Physical examination
- Look for abnormalities on eye examination that may cause a mechanical cause of the droopy eyelid - e.g. swelling of the conjunctiva, conjunctivitis, swelling of the eyelid.
- Perform nervous system examination and determine if pupil is dilated or constricted
- If pupil is dilated and there are abnormalities found with cranial nerve, examination must consider cerebral aneurysm (especially if unilateral ptosis), cavernous sinus thrombosis, tuberculous meningitis, syphilitic meningitis, Wernicke's encephalopathy, diphtheria or subdural haematoma. If pupil is dilated and there are abnormalities found with the cranial nerves and peripheral nerves must consider myotonic dystrophy, tabes dorsalis (form of neurosyphilis), brain stem tumors, vertebrobasilar infarction or insufficiency, multiple sclerosis, epidemic encephalitis or syringomyelia. If pupil is constricted and have a unilateral complete droopy eyelid this would suggest diabetic neuropathy. If pupil is constricted and have bilateral complete droopy eyelid would suggest myasthenia gravis
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR
- Fasting blood sugar
- ANA autoantibodies
- Syphilis serology
- Acetylcholine receptor antibody titer - if suspect myasthenia gravis.
- Urine tests
- 24 hour urine collection fro Creatinine and creatine - if suspect muscular dystrophy.
- Radiological investigations
- X-Ray of skull
- X-Ray of sinuses
- CT or MRI brain must be done in most cases
- Cerebral angiography will be necessary to diagnose most cerebral aneurysms, cerebral vascular disease including transient ischemic attacks
- Tensilon test (edrophonium) test - if suspect myasthenia gravis.
- Spinal tap - may be useful if suspect encephalitis, meningitis, neurosyphilis or multiple sclerosis.
- Muscle biopsy - if suspect muscular dystrophy.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Droopy eye-lid causes:
- Vision & Eye Health: Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Droopy eye-lid:
The following list of conditions
have 'Droopy eye-lid' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Droopy eye-lid or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Droopy eye-lid:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Droopy eye-lid'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: