Diagnostic Tests for Dysmenorrhea
Diagnostic Test list for Dysmenorrhea:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Dysmenorrhea
- Physical examination
- Manual vaginal examination to examine for masses, tenderness or enlarged uterus. If a mass around the ovaries or fallopian tubes is felt may suggest salpingo-oophoritis, endometriosis with a cyst, malignancy ovarian tumor or ectopic pregnancy. If the uterus is felt to be abnormal may suggest fibroids, endometrial cancer, uterine pregnancy, retroverted uterus, endometrial cast or cervical polyp. If considerable tenderness when consider pelvic inflammatory disease, ectopic pregnancy and possibly endometriosis
- Examine for discharge coming from the cervix which suggests pelvic inflammatory disease
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR
- Thyroid function test
- Pregnancy test - if suspect an ectopic pregnancy.
- Tumor markers such as CA 125, HCG (choriocarcinoma) and alpha fetoprotein may assist in diagnosis and management of malignant ovarian tumor
- Swab of vaginal discharge for microscopy and culture - if there is a vaginal discharge; to test for gonorrhea and Chlamydia.
- Swab of cervical canal and rectum for microscopy and culture to test for gonorrhea and Chlamydia may also be necessary
- Radiological investigations
- Pelvic ultrasound - if there is an enlarged uterus or fallopian tube or ovarian mass found on physical examination or if suspect ectopic pregnancy.
- Peritoneal tap or culdocentesis may be helpful if suspect a ruptured ectopic pregnancy and pelvic ultrasound was not useful
- Diltation and curettage, hysteroscopy - may be needed to assess the uterine cavity.
- Hysterosalpingography can determine the patency of the tubes - if suspect pelvic inflammatory disease.
- Laparoscopy may be needed to diagnose ectopic pregnancy, endometriosis and pelvic inflammatory disease
- Exploratory laparotomy may be the only way to make a diagnosis in the case of a pelvic mass
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Dysmenorrhea causes:
- Pregnancy -- Related Home Testing:
- Menopause: Related Home Testing:
- Vaginal Health: Home Testing:
- Breast Cancer: Related Home Tests:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Dysmenorrhea:
The following list of conditions
have 'Dysmenorrhea' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Dysmenorrhea or choose View All.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: