Diagnostic Tests for Genital itching
Diagnostic Test list for Genital itching:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Genital itching
- Physical examination
- Examine genital areas and note any rash, redness, discharge, lesions, dryness, atrophy or pubic lice or eggs on hair shaft
- Examine other areas of skin that may be affected by itch - e.g. webs of fingers in scabies infection; most men that have tinea cruris ("Jock itch") also have tinea pedis ("Athletes foot").
- Vaginal speculum examination to observe any discharge and lesions within the vagina and to allow swabs to be taken
- Swab and microscopy of discharge, if present - to help diagnose candidiasis, bacterial vaginosis and trichomoniasis.
- Swab and culture the base of any lesions - to diagnose genital herpes.
- Skin scraping and microscopy - if suspect genital fungal infection (e.g. tinea cruris) or scabies infection.
- Skin biopsy - may be indicated to diagnose dermatitis, psoriasis, lichen simplex chronicus or vulval cancer.
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR
- Blood sugar
- HIV serology (if appropriate)
- Herpes serology may be indicated to distinguish between HSV1 and HSV2
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Genital itching causes:
- Home STD Testing
- Sexuality & Libido: Home Testing:
- Liver Health & Hepatitis: Home Testing
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Genital itching:
The following list of conditions
have 'Genital itching' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Genital itching or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Genital itching:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Genital itching'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: