Diagnostic Tests for Hand swelling
Diagnostic Test list for Hand swelling:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Hand swelling
- Physical examination
- Inspect the hand and determine if swelling involves the joints or soft tissue of the hands
- Inspect the skin for redness, scars and rashes
- Inspect for wasting of the muscles of the hands
- Inspect for joint or bone deformity
- Examine the nails of the hands for changes specific to psoriasis (e.g. pitting which is small depressions in the nail)
- Feel for tenderness of joints or bones
- Note any limitation in the range of movement of the joints
- If suspect hand arthritis, examine other joints of the body
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR
- Renal function tests and electrolytes
- Serum albumin (reduced in nephrotic syndrome)
- Arthritis screen (e.g. rheumatoid factor, ANA, ENA, ds DNA autoantibodies)
- Uric acid (increased in gout)
- Thyroid function tests to diagnose hypothyroidism ( can cause
- Carpal tunnel syndrome or generalized swelling)
- Urine tests
- Urinalysis to detect proteinuria (excess protein in the urine) which may cause hand swelling
- 24 hour urinary protein to quantify protein in urine if suspect proteinuria, nephrotic syndrome, preeclampsia
- Urine microscopy and red cell morphology, if indicated
- Radiological investigations
- Wrist and Hand X-Ray, if indicated
- Duplex venous ultrasound of Axillary vein can document the presence of Axillary venous thrombosis
- Phlebography of the deep veins of the arm is often required for confirmation of diagnosis of Axillary vein thrombosis
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Hand swelling:
The following list of conditions
have 'Hand swelling' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Hand swelling or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Hand swelling:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Hand swelling'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: