Diagnostic Tests for Hypocalcemia
Diagnostic Test list for Hypocalcemia:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Hypocalcemia
- Physical examination
- Examine for physical signs of low calcium including Chvostek's sign (gentle tapping over the facial nerve causes twitching of the facial muscles) and Trousseau's sign (inflation of the blood pressure cuff above diastolic blood pressure for 3 minutes causes muscular contraction of the fingers and wrist)
- Blood tests
- Full blood count
- Electrolytes, including calcium and phosphate levels
- Renal function tests (renal failure is the most common cause of low calcium)
- PTH level - If PTH level is low must consider hypoparathyroidism (low parathyroid gland function).
- Phosphorus level - A decreased phosphorus level may suggest malabsorption syndrome, rickets, osteomalacia, renal tubular acidosis, cirrhosis and nephrotic syndrome. An elevated phosphorus level may suggest renal disease or pseudohypoparathryoidism.
- Alkaline phosphatase level - Elevated in hypocalcemia due to malabsorption syndrome, rickets, osteomalacia, renal tubular acidosis and other chronic renal disease. Normal Alkaline phosphatase level in cirrhosis, nephrosis, alkalosis and pseudohypoparathyroidism.
- Serum protein electrophoresis
- Vitamin D level
- Magnesium level (low magnesium levels due to loss from the gastrointestinal tract or kidneys may cause low calcium levels)
- Urine tests
- Radiological investigations
- Blood phosphate level
- Blood calcium level
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Hypocalcemia causes:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Hypocalcemia:
The following list of conditions
have 'Hypocalcemia' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Hypocalcemia or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Hypocalcemia:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Hypocalcemia'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: