Diagnostic Tests for Low sodium
Diagnostic Test list for Low sodium:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Low sodium
- Physical examination
- Look for evidence of dehydration - e.g. loss of skin elasticity, postural low blood pressure, cold skin, elevated pulse rate, dry mucous membranes. If dehydrated may suggest pyloric obstruction, vomiting, malabsorption syndrome or the use of certain diuretics as the cause of low sodium.
- Examine for evidence of fluid retention such as pulmonary edema and ankle edema which may suggest congestive cardiac failure, nephrotic syndrome, cirrhosis of the liver, renal failure
- Blood tests
- Full blood count
- Chloride level. An increased chloride suggests diabetic acidosis, Addison's disease, renal tubular acidosis, nephritis or the use of certain diuretics as the cause. A decreased chloride suggests congestive heart failure, syndrome of inappropriate secretion of anti-diuretic hormone (SIADH), pyloric obstruction, vomiting, malabsorption syndrome and diuretic use as the possible cause
- Plasma osmolality is usually low with low sodium. If osmolality is normal low sodium may be spuriously low due to another abnormality such as elevated lipids or protein
- Blood sugar. An elevated blood sugar suggests diabetic acidosis or hyperosmolar coma
- Liver function tests. Hepatic cirrhosis may cause fluid volume overload and thus low sodium
- Cortisol level. A low cortisol level coupled with a low sodium and elevated chloride suggests Addison's disease. A low sodium and elevated chloride but normal plasma cortisol should suggest renal tubular acidosis, nephritis and the use of certain diuretics
- ADH level
- Plasma renin level
- Urine tests
- Urine sodium level
- Urine osmolality . If high may suggest syndrome of inappropriate secretion of ADH (SIADH)
- Arterial blood gases (ABGs)
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Low sodium causes:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Low sodium:
The following list of conditions
have 'Low sodium' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Low sodium or choose View All.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: