Glossary for Macrocephaly in children
Medical terms related to Macrocephaly in children or mentioned in this section include:
- Abscess: This is an area of puss collected in a cavity which is constituted by necrotised tissue
- Achondroplasia: A rare disease characterized by abnormal bone growth which results in short stature with short arms and legs, large head and characteristic facial features.
- Alexander Syndrome: Brain myelin disorder causing mental degeneration.
- Astrocytoma: A malignant tumour of the nervous system composed of astrocytes.
- Behavioral symptoms: Symptoms of personal behavior.
- Brain symptoms: Symptoms affecting the brain
- Canavan disease: Rare genetic degenerative brain disease in infants.
- Chiari Malformation: Protrusion of the brain down the spinal column.
- Child health symptoms: Symptoms related to pediatric (child) health.
- Ependymoma: A tumor that occurs in the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord). Symptoms vary according to the aggressiveness, size and exact location of the tumor.
- Glutaric aciduria type II: A rare disorder of amino acid metabolism characterized by a defect in the enzyme ETF (electron transfer flavenoid) or ETF dehydrogenase. The condition causes variable symptoms.
- Head symptoms: Symptoms affecting the head or brain
- Hurler syndrome:
- Hydranencephaly: A very rare condition where fluid replaces a portion of the brain.
- Incontinentia Pigmenti: A rare genetic skin pigmentation disorder characterized by eye, teeth, bone, nail and hair malformations as well as central nervous abnormalities and mental deficiency.
- Krabbe leukodystrophy: A rare inherited biochemical disorder involving the deficiency of an enzyme called galactocerebrosidase. It is a leukodystrophy which refers to a group of genetic disorders that affect the growth of the protective coating around the brain nerves.
- Macrocephaly: Macrocephaly is an unusually large head.
- Macrocephaly, benign familial: An enlarged head which tends to run in families and generally involves no mental or other problems.
- Maple syrup urine disease: An inherited metabolic disorder involving amino acid metabolism and characterized by a sweet smelling urine, similar to maple syrup.
- Megalencephaly: Megalencephaly refers to an unusually large, heavy brain that functions abnormally.
- Metachromatic Leukodystrophy: An inherited biochemical deficiency involving a deficiency of the enzyme called arylsulfatase A which leads to a harmful buildup of fatty material in the body.
- Movement symptoms: Changes to movement or motor abilities
- Mucopolysaccharidoses: A lysosomal storage disorder that is caused by a deficiency of the ability to metabolise glycosaminoglycans
- Muscle symptoms: Symptoms affecting the muscles of the body
- Musculoskeletal symptoms: Symptoms affecting muscles or bones of the skeleton.
- Nerve symptoms: Symptoms affecting the nerves
- Neurological symptoms: Any symptoms that are caused by neurological conditions
- Papilloma of choroid plexus: A very rare syndrome characterized by the development of papillomas (benign tumor) in the choroids plexus which is the part of the brain the produces cerebrospinal fluid. The papilloma may become malignant.
- Rickets: A condition that affects the bones due to vitamin D deficiency
- Skeletal symptoms: Symptoms affecting the skeletal system such as the bones.
- Skull symptoms: Symptoms affecting the skull surrounding the brain.
- Soto's Syndrome: A rare hereditary disorder characterized by excessive growth during the first few years of life as well as various other mental and physical anomalies.
- Subarachnoid hemorrhage: subarachnoid hemorrhage is bleeding in the area between the brain and the thin tissues that cover the brain. This area is called the subarachnoid space
- Subdural hematoma: A condition which is characterized by a blood clot beneath the dura mater
- Tay Sachs Disease: A condition which is causes GM2 gangliosidosis
- Tuberous sclerosis: A rare genetic disorder characterized by harmartomatous skin nodules, seizures, phakomata and bone lesions.
- Vein of Galen aneurysm: A rare condition which is characterised by an aneurysm resulting from a intracranial vascular malformation
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Macrocephaly in children:
The following list of conditions
have 'Macrocephaly in children' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Macrocephaly in children or choose View All.