Diagnostic Tests for Middle back pain
Diagnostic Test list for Middle back pain:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Middle back pain
- General inspection
- Posture, gait, level of distress
- Physical examination
- Blood pressure (ruptured aortic aneurysm may cause back pain with low blood pressure)
- Inspect the middle back for symmetry and any deformities (kyphosis or scoliosis)
- Palpation of the back (centrally and laterally) to reproduce the pain
- Examine range of movement of the middle back to reproduce pain
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR
- Calcium, phosphate and alkaline phosphatase
- Prostatic specific antigen (PSA) in males if appropriate
- HLA-B27 antigen test for Ankylosing Spondylitis and Reiter's disease (uncommonly cause problems in the middle back)
- Serum electrophoresis for Multiple myeloma
- Brucella agglutination test (for Brucellosis)
- Blood culture (for vertebral osteomyelitis and bacterial endocarditis)
- Mantoux test - if suspect Skeletal tuberculosis.
- Urine tests
- Bence -Jones protein analysis for Multiple myeloma
- Radiological investigations
- X-Ray of spine - can detect arthritis changes, fractures, reduced bone mass, reduced bone height and malignancy.
- CT or MRI of spine - perform if the person has persistent back pain. Can detect spinal canal stenosis or nerve root compression.
- Bone scan - can detect the early development of malignant disease, osteomyelitis and inflammatory disease before changes are apparent on plain X-Ray.
- Bone densitometry - can predict an increased risk of osteoporosis.
- Electrocardiogram (ECG) - to rule out suspected angina chest pain.
- Gastroscopy or Barium studies (to rule out possible peptic ulcer)
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Middle back pain causes:
- Nerve Neuropathy: Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Middle back pain:
The following list of conditions
have 'Middle back pain' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Middle back pain or choose View All.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: