Diagnostic Tests for Miscarriage
Diagnostic Test list for Miscarriage:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Miscarriage
- Physical examination
- Blood pressure and pulse (to detect shock from blood loss)
- Palpate the abdomen to feel the size of the uterus and feel for any tenderness
- Vaginal examination looking for any bleeding coming through the opening of the cervix, looking for patency of the cervical opening (indicating that a miscarriage is inevitable) and looking for products of conception in the cervical opening or vagina
- If movement of the cervix with the examining hand causes significant pain must consider ectopic pregnancy
- Blood tests
- Full blood count (looking for evidence of anemia due to blood loss or for sepsis)
- Blood group (if Rh D negative, must be given Anti D immunoglobulin)
- Beta hCG pregnancy test
- Blood culture, if suspect septic miscarriage
- If recurrent miscarriages suggest oral glucose tolerance test for diabetes; ANA and ds DNA autoantibodies for systemic lupus erythematosus; anticardiolipin antibodies and lupus anticoagulant for phospholipids syndrome; karyotyping
- Radiological investigations
- Pelvic ultrasound scan looking for site of pregnancy, viability of pregnancy and to rule out molar pregnancy (placental tumor)
- If recurrent miscarriages, may indicate hysteroscopy
- Vaginal swab - for microscopy and culture, if suspect septic miscarriage.
- Laparoscopy - may be indicated if recurrent miscarriages.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Miscarriage causes:
- Pregnancy -- Related Home Testing:
- Fertility-related Home Testing:
- Male Fertility Tests
- Menopause: Related Home Testing:
- Vaginal Health: Home Testing:
- Breast Cancer: Related Home Tests:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Miscarriage:
The following list of conditions
have 'Miscarriage' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Miscarriage or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Miscarriage:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Miscarriage'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: