Diagnostic Tests for Nipple discharge
Diagnostic Test list for Nipple discharge:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Nipple discharge
- Physical examination
- Induce and inspect the discharge by compressing a quadrant of the breast Examination of breasts for breast lump
- Axillary and supraclavicular lymph node examination
- If suspicious lump is found, inspect liver, lungs and spine for signs of metastases
- Blood tests
- Prolactin hormone should be ordered if the nipple discharge is bilateral and milky
- Pregnancy test
- Thyroid hormone (to look for a pituitary tumor or hypothyroidism)
- Renal function tests (kidney failure may elevate prolactin levels)
- Liver function test (liver failure may elevate prolactin levels)
- Radiological investigations
- Mammogram - looking for signs of breast cancer including an irregular infiltrating mass with focal spotty microcalcification.
- Breast Ultrasound - most useful in women less than 30 years of age; in.
- Pregnant and lactating women; for differentiating between fluid filledcysts and a solid mass; and for palpable masses at periphery of breast tissue
- CT Scan of the brain and pituitary, if prolactin level is elevated
- Cytological examination of the nipple discharge - for exfoliated cancer cells Biopsy of breast lump - fine needle aspirate, fine needle biopsy or excisional biopsy.
- Biopsy of nipple erosion if suspect Paget's disease
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Nipple discharge causes:
- Cold & Flu: Home Testing:
- Menopause: Related Home Testing:
- Vaginal Health: Home Testing:
- Breast Cancer: Related Home Tests:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Nipple discharge:
The following list of conditions
have 'Nipple discharge' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Nipple discharge or choose View All.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: