Diagnostic Tests for Nose symptoms
Diagnostic Test list for Nose symptoms:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Nose symptoms
- Physical examination
- Blood pressure. High blood pressure may be a cause of bleeding nose
- After nasal trauma, must always inspect inside the nose for a blood clot in the septum because it may be later complicated by abscess formation and collapse of the nasal septum causing a permanent deformity
- Full examination of the ears, nose and throat
- Feel the lymph nodes in the neck for enlargement
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR
- Growth hormone level (high level in Acromegaly which causes an enlarged nose)
- RAST allergy testing for specific allergens in allergic rhinitis
- Serum ANCA for Wegener's granulomatosis
- Syphilis serology, if indicated
- Coagulation profile, if recurrent nose bleeds with porthrombin time, partial thromboplastin time (PTT), bleeding time, platelet count
- Raised Immunoglobulin levels and presence of certain autoantibodies may suggest diagnosis of Sjogren's syndrome which causes a dry nose - e.g. Rheumatoid factor, antinuclear antibodies, antimitochondrial antibodies, Anti-Ro (SSA) antibodies.
- Radiological investigations
- Sinus X-Ray
- CT Scan of nasal cavity and sinuses may be indicated
- Nasal smear and culture - for bacteria and fungi.
- Biopsy of nose - may help diagnose rhinophyma, rosacea and nasal tumor.
- Skin smear from the skin or nasal lining - for detecting the organism responsible for leprosy, if suspected.
- Skin prick allergy testing for specific allergens in allergic rhinitis
- Nasopharyngoscopy - by Ears, nose and Throat specialist may be indicated.
- Schirmer tear test, if have dry eyes and nose - a strip of filter paper is placed on the inside of the lower eyelid and wetting of less than 10mm in 5 minutes indicated defective tear production and thus dry eyes. This test will help diagnose Sjogren's syndrome.
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Nose symptoms:
The following list of conditions
have 'Nose symptoms' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Nose symptoms or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Nose symptoms:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Nose symptoms'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: