Diagnostic Tests for Odor symptoms
Diagnostic Test list for Odor symptoms:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Odor symptoms
- Note level of self care - may suggest poor hygiene if unkempt and dirty.
- Note nature of breath odor - if sweet may suggest diabetic ketoacidosis ( sickly sweet smell), alcoholism ( distinctive), liver failure( a sweet smell) and maple syrup urine disease; if unpleasant or foul may suggest renal failure (urine or fish-like breath due to ammonia), anaerobic infections of the mouth, nose, pharynx or chest (putrid) or cigarettes ( distinctive).
- Examine state of teeth and teeth hygiene and note whether the teeth are real or false - loose fitting teeth may be responsible for mouth ulcers or decayed teeth which may cause breath odor.
- Remove false teeth for complete examination
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR (may suggest infection)
- Renal function tests ( may suggest renal failure as cause of breath odor)
- Liver function tests ( may suggest hepatic coma as cause of breath odor)
- Blood sugar may suggest diabetic ketoacidosis as a cause of breath odor
- Blood alcohol level to establish if alcoholism may be the cause of the breath odor
- Urine analysis
- Glucose and ketones present may suggest diabetic ketoacidosis as cause of breath odor
- Urine microscopy and culture - may detect urinary tract infection.
- Culture of the mouth, gums and nasopharynx - may be necessary to diagnose anaerobic infections that may be the cause of breath odor.
- Sputum microscopy and culture
- Vaginal or penile discharge swab for culture - if appropriate.
- Stool tests
- Stool microscopy for ova, parasites and culture for bacteria
- Giardia antigen
- 24 hour Stool analysis of fecal fat - if steatorrhea is present (i.e. fatty, pale colored, extremely smelly stools that float in the toilet and are difficult to flush away due to excess fat in the stool).
- Radiological investigations
- X-ray or CT scan of chest or sinuses - if suspect respiratory infection as a cause of breath odor.
- Esophagogram - will help detect Zenker's diverticulum (a pouch opening from the esophagus) that may cause bad breath odor.
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Odor symptoms:
The following list of conditions
have 'Odor symptoms' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Odor symptoms or choose View All.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: