Diagnostic Tests for Palpitations
Diagnostic Test list for Palpitations:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Palpitations
- Physical examination
- Note pulse rate, rhythm and regularity. If rate is over 150 beats per minute may suggest paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia (PSVT), atrial flutter, atrial fibrillation or ventricular tachycardia. If rate is less than 150 beats per minute it is more likely to be sinus tachycardia which can be associated with exercise, fever, drugs or hyperthyroidism
- Temperature (if fever is present with enlarged heart and heart murmur must consider bacterial endocarditis; fever itself may cause tachycardia)
- Blood pressure. If blood pressure is high may suggest phaeochromocytoma or hyperthyroidism
- Cardiovascular examination - looking for enlarged heart (may suggest congestive cardiac failure, valvular heart disease, cardiomyopathy, hypothyroidism), heart murmur (may suggest valvular heart disease e.g. acute or chronic rheumatic fever or bacterial endocarditis ).
- Look for signs of hyperthyroidism including agitation, restlessness, enlarged thyroid (goiter), warm and sweaty palms, fine tremor, protruding eyes
- Blood tests
- Full blood count (anemia may cause palpitations)
- Electrolytes (low potassium and low magnesium levels may cause palpitations)
- Thyroid function test
- Serum digoxin level, if person is on digoxin medication
- Iron studies (looking for elevated ferritin in hemochromatosis which may cause irregular heart beats)
- Blood cultures, ASO titres, ESR if fever is present
- Viral antibodies, if suspect myocarditis
- Urine tests
- 24 hour urine collection for VMA or metanephrines
- Drug screen
- Radiological investigations
- Chest X-Ray
- Echocardiogram to look for valvular heart disease and to assess function of the left ventricle of the heart
- 12 lead ECG
- 24 hour blood pressure monitoring
- 24 or 48 hour Holter monitoring is useful in the diagnosis of intermittent palpitations
- Electrophysiological studies
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Palpitations causes:
- High Blood Pressure: Home Testing
- Heart Health: Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Palpitations:
The following list of conditions
have 'Palpitations' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Palpitations or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Palpitations:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Palpitations'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: