Diagnostic Tests for Photophobia
Diagnostic Test list for Photophobia:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Photophobia
- Eye examination
- Inspect the eye noting the nature of redness, if present. This will help delineate conjunctivitis, keratitis, iritis, uveitis, glaucoma and corneal ulceration
- Inspect under the upper eyelid for foreign bodies, fine follicles (which indicate a viral infection) or for a cobblestone appearance (which indicates allergic conjunctivitis)
- Fluorescein and Rose Bengal staining of the surface of the eye may show small defects in the cornea suggesting corneal ulceration. Branch like ulceration is diagnostic of herpes simplex infection of the eye
- Visual acuity - in both eyes with and without glasses (if worn) to determine any refractive error. Reduced visual acuity may suggest herpes simplex infection, corneal ulcer, acute iritis or acute glaucoma (haloes around lights).
- Examination of pupils and the pupil reflexes. A dilated pupil would suggest glaucoma, a small constricted pupil may suggest acute iritis
- Ophthalmoscopy and slit lamp examination - to examine the optic nerve, macula and retina.
- Tonometry (measures ocular tension) - elevated with glaucoma.
- Physical examination
- Examine for stiffness of the neck. Neck stiffness with fever would suggest meningitis. Neck stiffness without fever or with a low grade fever may suggest subarachnoid hemorrhage
- Examine for site of infection if fever is present. Potentially any febrile illness may cause photophobia
- Blood tests (if fever is present. Potentially any febrile illness may cause photophobia)
- Full blood count and ESR
- Electrolytes and kidney function tests
- Liver function tests
- Serial blood cultures
- Syphilis screen
- HIV antibody test may need to be ordered
- Acute and convalescent phase serology tests for various viruses
- Radiological investigations
- CT Scan of the brain should be done if there is neck stiffness
- Spinal tap (Lumbar puncture) - should be done after a CT Scan of the brain if there is neck stiffness.
- Muscle biopsy - if suspect trichinella.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Photophobia causes:
- Child Behavior: Home Testing
- Mental Health (Adults): Home Testing
- Mental Health: Home Testing:
- Vision & Eye Health: Home Testing:
- Nerve Neuropathy: Related Home Testing:
- Brain & Neurological Disorders: Related Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Photophobia:
The following list of conditions
have 'Photophobia' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Photophobia or choose View All.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: