Diagnostic Tests for Poor feeding
Diagnostic Test list for Poor feeding:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Poor feeding
- General appearance and observation
- Looking for any dysmorphic ( abnormality of shape) features of face and body that may affect feeding - e.g. Down syndrome, cleft palate, Pierre Robin syndrome (small jaw, cleft palate and downward displacement of the tongue), fetal alcohol syndrome (narrow space between the eyes, short nose, small face, small upper lip), Zellweger syndrome.
- Observe the child's behavior and interaction with yourself. If child is alert, interested in new objects, keen to explore and relates in a friendly manner, a feeding problem is more likely because of an isolated condition rather than global retardation
- Physical examination
- Inspect mouth for any local lesions which may affect feeding - e.g. severe tongue tie, cleft palate.
- A careful physical examination must be performed to exclude any acute or chronic illness
- Examine for signs of congenital heart disease that may cause failure to thrive due to poor feeding
- Neurological examination to look for focal neurological signs
- Observe infant health clinic booklet - to check growth patterns of weight, height and head circumference.
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR
- Electrolytes, calcium, renal function tests
- Blood sugar level
- Liver function tests
- Thyroid function tests
- Cytogenetics for karyotyping - e.g. looking for genetic syndromes e.g. Down's syndrome.
- Screen for congenital infection - e.g. paired mother and baby serology for rubella, toxoplasma, HIV, syphilis and CMV.
- Urine tests
- Urine metabolic screening in children if suspect metabolic and storage diseases
- Urine drug screen
- Urine microscopy and culture
- Radiological investigations
- CT scan or MRI brain may sometimes be useful
- Chest X-Ray and Echocardiogram, if suspect congenital heart disease
- Denver developmental screening test in children - compares all aspects of a child's development with a population of normal children at the same age.
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Poor feeding:
The following list of conditions
have 'Poor feeding' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Poor feeding or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Poor feeding:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Poor feeding'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: