Diagnostic Tests for Postpartum hemorrhage
Diagnostic Test list for Postpartum hemorrhage:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Postpartum hemorrhage
- Physical examination
- Temperature - elevated temperature may indicate endometritis (infection of the lining of the uterus) which may cause secondarypostpartum hemorrhage.
- Blood pressure and Pulse rate to help determine presence of shock
- Feel abdomen to determine how much the uterus has contracted down into the pelvis and establish if the uterus is tender
- Vaginal examination to determine if opening of the cervix is open or closed and to determine if vaginal discharge is offensive
- Examine the genital area to look for any lacerations, tears or episiotomy wounds which may contribute to postpartum hemorrhage
- Blood test
- Full blood count
- Coagulation profile including INR, PT, APTT
- More sophisticated bleeding disorder tests depending on suspicion - e.g. Hemophilia screening, von Willebrand's disease, platelet function studies, platelet antibodies.
- Swab of vaginal discharge - for microscopy and culture.
- Radiological investigations
- Pelvic ultrasound scan to exclude retained products and clots in the uterus
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Postpartum hemorrhage causes:
- Pregnancy -- Related Home Testing:
- Fertility-related Home Testing:
- Male Fertility Tests
- Fatigue: Related Home Tests:
- Home Anemia Diagnostic Tests
- Menopause: Related Home Testing:
- Vaginal Health: Home Testing:
- Breast Cancer: Related Home Tests:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Postpartum hemorrhage:
The following list of conditions
have 'Postpartum hemorrhage' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Postpartum hemorrhage or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Postpartum hemorrhage:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Postpartum hemorrhage'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: