Diagnostic Tests for Purple skin
Diagnostic Test list for Purple skin:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Purple skin
- Physical examination
- Examine the purple skin in area or areas affected and note the features
- Examine for signs of systemic disease that may be associated with the cause of the purple skin - e.g. muscle weakness, muscle tenderness and swelling around the eyes in dermatomyositis.
- Examine for extensive bruises which may suggest Hemophilia, Christmas disease, platelet disorders or disseminated intravascular coagulation
- Examine for petechial body rash (pinhead size red - purple rash) which is common in any disorder that might cause thrombocytopenia (reduced platelets), platelet dysfunction or vasculitis.
- Blood tests
- Full blood count and ESR
- Platelet count - reduced in Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, leukemia, aplastic anemia, lupus erythematosus, certain drugs.
- Coagulation profile including INR, PT, APTT
- Skin bleeding time
- Fibrinogen assay and estimation of fibrin degradation products if suspect Disseminated intravascular Coagulation
- More sophisticated bleeding disorder tests depending on suspicion - e.g. Hemophilia screening, von Willebrand's disease, platelet function studies, platelet antibodies.
- Creatinine kinase (elevated in dermatomyositis)
- Liver function tests
- Electrolytes and kidney function tests (elevated calcium in sarcoidosis)
- HIV serology if suspect Kaposi's sarcoma
- Skin biopsy of localized purple skin lesion - may assist diagnosis.
- Radiological investigations
- Chest X-Ray if suspect sarcoidosis
- Transbronchial biopsy - may be required if suspect sarcoidosis.
- Muscle biopsy- if suspect dermatomyositis
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Purple skin:
The following list of conditions
have 'Purple skin' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Purple skin or choose View All.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: