Diagnostic Tests for Reading symptoms
Diagnostic Test list for Reading symptoms:
The list of diagnostic tests
mentioned in various sources as
used in the diagnosis of Reading symptoms
- Information/report from school - teacher questionnaire is useful. The teachers may be asked for their perception of a child's academic and developmental strengths and weaknesses, peer relationships and classroom behaviors.
- General appearance and observation
- Looking for any dysmorphic (abnormality of shape) features of face and body - e.g. fetal alcohol syndrome, Klinefelter's syndrome.
- Physical examination
- Neurological examination to look for signs of focal neurological signs and papilledema
- Visual acuity - in both eyes and with and without glasses (if worn) to determine any refractive error.
- Visual field testing - to detect either a contraction (a local or general reduction in the area of field) or a scotoma (an island of loss within the field). Mapping the visual field defect can help determine cause of visual filed defect. e.g. glaucoma, pituitary tumor, toxic causes such as methyl alcohol.
- Ophthalmoscopy and slit lamp examination - to examine the optic nerve, macula and retina and assist in diagnosis of cataracts, iritis, keratitis, glaucoma, retinitis, foreign bodies, detached retina. Specifically look for papilledema (swelling of the optic nerve) which suggests optic neuritis.
- Mini-mental state examination - to test memory and cognitive function if dementia is suspected.
- Neurodevelopment assessment - is an important part of the evaluation of children who are thought to have learning difficulties to elicit individual profile of developmental strengths and weaknesses.
- Educational assessment - in order to determine the child's level of academic functioning, preferred learning styles, motivation, concentration and sensitivity to their performance.
- IQ test
- Psychological/Psychiatric assessment
- Pure tone Audiometry - to assess hearing, especially if there is also a delay in speech.
- Radiological investigations
- CT Brain and/or MRI Brain (if neurological abnormalities are present) to detect stroke, optic nerve lesion, brain tumors, brain hemorrhage
- Carotid artery ultrasound - to detect atherosclerosis of the carotid arteries if suspect stroke as the cause of reading difficulties.
Home Diagnostic Testing
These home medical tests may be relevant to Reading symptoms causes:
- Cold & Flu: Home Testing:
Conditions listing medical symptoms: Reading symptoms:
The following list of conditions
have 'Reading symptoms' or similar
listed as a symptom in our database.
This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete.
Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause
of any symptom.
Select from the following alphabetical view of conditions which
include a symptom of Reading symptoms or choose View All.
Conditions listing medical complications: Reading symptoms:
The following list of medical conditions have 'Reading symptoms'
or similar listed as a medical complication in our database.
» Next page: Glossary
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: