Types of Tremor
Tremor: Types list
The list of types of Tremor mentioned in various sources includes:
- Resting tremor - when tremor occurs in resting positions
- Postural tremor - when tremor results from attempts to maintain postures.
- Physiological tremor
- Essential tremor
- Tremor with basal ganglia disease
- Cerebellar postural tremor
- Tremor with peripheral neuropathy
- Post-traumatic tremor
- Alcoholic tremor
- Kinetic tremor - also called action tremor, results when making a motion.
- Task-specific tremor - occurs when writing, speaking, or standing.
- Hysterical tremor - also called psychogenic tremor; reduces when person is distracted.
- Drug-induced tremor
There are many types of tremor and several ways in which
tremor is classified. The most common classification is by behavioral
context or position. There are five categories of tremor within this
classification: resting, postural, kinetic, task-specific, and hysterical.
Resting or static tremor occurs when the muscle is at rest, for example
when the hands are lying on the lap. This type of tremor is often seen in
patients with Parkinson's disease. Postural tremor occurs when a patient
attempts to maintain posture, such as holding the hands outstretched.
Postural tremors include physiological tremor, essential tremor, tremor
with basal ganglia disease (also seen in patients with Parkinson's
disease), cerebellar postural tremor, tremor with peripheral neuropathy,
post-traumatic tremor, and alcoholic tremor. Kinetic or intention (action)
tremor occurs during purposeful movement, for example during
finger-to-nose testing. Task-specific tremor appears when performing
goal-oriented tasks such as handwriting, speaking, or standing. This group
consists of primary writing tremor, vocal tremor, and orthostatic tremor.
Hysterical tremor (also called psychogenic tremor) occurs in both older
and younger patients. The key feature of this tremor is that it
dramatically lessens or disappears when the patient is distracted.
(Source: excerpt from NINDS Tremor Information Page: NINDS)
Tremor: Rare Types
Rare types of medical conditions and diseases in related medical categories:
Tremor: Related Disease Topics
More general medical disease topics related to Tremor include:
Research More About Tremor
» Next page: Causes of Tremor
Medical Tools & Articles:
Tools & Services:
Forums & Message Boards
- Ask or answer a question at the Boards: